Sunday 31 March 2019

Jan - March Book Reviews

The One Memory of Flora BanksThe One Memory of Flora Banks by Emily Barr
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

What a fabulous read! A great tale of determination amidst confusion. Bravery, despite all the odds being against you. The writing style was a little confusing at times with all the jumps and recaps as Flora works through her short and long term memories, but that may have been intentional. It brings you one step closer to seeing the world through Flora's eyes as she unravels the truth about her one recalled memory and subsequently navigates the day to day in order to discover what this one memory could truly mean.


View all my reviews

The Boy in the Striped PajamasThe Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Poignant, thought-provoking and innocence at its best amidst a world of cruelty and madness. Simply, sensitively and cleverly written. Had a gentleman where I purchased the book from not spoiled the ending for me, it would have been a hard-hitting and powerful conclusion. I am interested to see the film now to find out how it compares and how this is portrayed.


View all my reviews

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I'm not entirely sure how to put into words how I feel about this book, however, I will endeavour to do so. Other than Dawn French's biography, this is the first work of fiction I have read from her. It was very well written, although I didn't really "get" the humour it was meant to contain - I am not a fan of dark humour, so maybe that is why it missed the mark on that count for me? If you are a fan of that style of writing though, you will love this novel. What I will say is that it was a clever insight to the main character through the eyes of family and friends as well as the characters themselves, that unfolds as the book progresses. It becomes apparent half way through that all is not as it seems and there is more than meets the eye to the story and predicament people find themselves in. All in all, I am happy to have read it, and by the end felt empathy for the situation and characters. Just not a huge fan and by no means one I can add to my favourites. Sorry.



No comments: